Monday, December 28, 2015

Rhetta's doll

I have done sewing for Rhetta for a couple years now. She was once my mother's customer. 
She brought to me HER mother's doll.  The doll was made from what I can see, sometime between 1905 and 1912 possibly by Butler Brothers. It can be male or female, and has a composition head with painted on features.  The short arms are compo as well but of a different sort then the head. The body is a cheap cheese cloth type fabric and has exposed wire joints on the arms and the legs. I will slip cover the body and restore the compo where chipped and maybe do minor touch ups on the paint. The dress is one of Rhetta's will be restored.

 head removed and first cleaning.
the body is filled with excelsior (wood shavings that look like straw). I am guessing cedar as there is no bug damage and cedar deters them. 
half of the body is slip covered so far.
02/12/2016
Updated. Done and Done.




No comments:

Post a Comment