Monday, December 28, 2015

Terri Lee

You can read about this doll here:
and the current owners of the business:
Youtube Video about the Terri Lee Doll
the official Website of Terri Lee Dolls today

Her face grew on me.  I bought this off ebay with the understanding she was reproduction and had a cracked neck. Okay with me...but when I got her it was more then the neck. Seems the new reproductions had problems with the seams not holding. Poor glue job. So she got a GOOD glue job.
This is how she looked when I got her and the stages to her fixed self.
 She looks kind of "short" with no neck at all

 the legs were cracked too and I took them apart as well and reglued them. I didn't want to have to do it all over again.
she is marked 719 of 2000
today 12/30/2105 My #3 daughter brought me another Goodwill find.  ANOTHER TERRI LEE!.
This one I think is meant to be an AA version but I think she looks more like she is mixed. So after cleaning she got her eye color changed then dressed in an AG outfit I had made. She was made in 2006.

Rhetta's doll

I have done sewing for Rhetta for a couple years now. She was once my mother's customer. 
She brought to me HER mother's doll.  The doll was made from what I can see, sometime between 1905 and 1912 possibly by Butler Brothers. It can be male or female, and has a composition head with painted on features.  The short arms are compo as well but of a different sort then the head. The body is a cheap cheese cloth type fabric and has exposed wire joints on the arms and the legs. I will slip cover the body and restore the compo where chipped and maybe do minor touch ups on the paint. The dress is one of Rhetta's will be restored.

 head removed and first cleaning.
the body is filled with excelsior (wood shavings that look like straw). I am guessing cedar as there is no bug damage and cedar deters them. 
half of the body is slip covered so far.
Updated. Done and Done.

Jackie's doll

I will not be sorry to see 2015 go. It has been a very trying year for me.  But to end this year and start of the new year I have some dolls to work on to take my mind off what was not so good.
The first I call Jackie's doll. She belongs to a widow lady and it was her doll when she was a little girl. The doll has seen much wear.  The closest I can come to identifying her is an EffanBee Sugar Baby. The face for sure, but she does not have Sugar baby on her neck only the Effanbee name. She was made in the 1930s.
Composition head, arms and legs with a cloth body. The cotton has dry rotted with age and the head was hanging on by a few threads.  The legs are attached by casing and the arms have the enclosed wire to make them movable. I will attempt to make a new body covering so the head can be re-attached, the crotch mended where it is split and make her cleaner looking. She has some crazing in the compo and some chips...the chips will be filled and the crazing minimized and then sealed to protect. The paint touched up where needed and the clothes restored.

 After cleaning the head it looks so much better. She had some kind of blue on her cheeks. I will try to give her lashes again and restore her blush.
the clothes have been washed and soaked  to remove the yellowing and stains...they have since had holes repaired, and elastic restored where needed. Only thing left is to press them and hang till needed.
Well it is 02/12/2016 and I am done with Jackie's doll. She ended up with a repaint so the head would match her limbs. It had faded badly. She got new lashes and her hair sprayed on and a new body made from the pattern of the old and all the old stuffing put back in.  Nasty dusty stuff but it didn't stink. I sewed hand crocheted lace on the dress jacket to replace the stuff that had dry rotted.