Monday, December 28, 2015

Jackie's doll

I will not be sorry to see 2015 go. It has been a very trying year for me.  But to end this year and start of the new year I have some dolls to work on to take my mind off what was not so good.
The first I call Jackie's doll. She belongs to a widow lady and it was her doll when she was a little girl. The doll has seen much wear.  The closest I can come to identifying her is an EffanBee Sugar Baby. The face for sure, but she does not have Sugar baby on her neck only the Effanbee name. She was made in the 1930s.
Composition head, arms and legs with a cloth body. The cotton has dry rotted with age and the head was hanging on by a few threads.  The legs are attached by casing and the arms have the enclosed wire to make them movable. I will attempt to make a new body covering so the head can be re-attached, the crotch mended where it is split and make her cleaner looking. She has some crazing in the compo and some chips...the chips will be filled and the crazing minimized and then sealed to protect. The paint touched up where needed and the clothes restored.


 After cleaning the head it looks so much better. She had some kind of blue on her cheeks. I will try to give her lashes again and restore her blush.
the clothes have been washed and soaked  to remove the yellowing and stains...they have since had holes repaired, and elastic restored where needed. Only thing left is to press them and hang till needed.
Well it is 02/12/2016 and I am done with Jackie's doll. She ended up with a repaint so the head would match her limbs. It had faded badly. She got new lashes and her hair sprayed on and a new body made from the pattern of the old and all the old stuffing put back in.  Nasty dusty stuff but it didn't stink. I sewed hand crocheted lace on the dress jacket to replace the stuff that had dry rotted.




No comments:

Post a Comment