Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Sisters Dolls

Maggie and Orpha brought me their child hood dolls to be re-stored. I don't like to do things half way. I want them to be beautiful. The cost to me is not important. Most is my labor. I just enjoy it more then I want to make a lot of money doing this.  Maggie brought me one and Orpha brought 3.
 
 
 

MAGGIE'S DOLL

This is Maggie's doll. 1950s Magic Skin...


the legs and one arm are NOT salavageable. Maggie said to replace them with what I could find. On eBay there is not much in this...so I will probably cannibalize a doll I have here that has the right shape arms and legs...
 I scalped her!

this will be the sacrifice.... poor baby
Ack! I killed her!
 
 today is November 5 2012 and Maggie's doll I hope is finished.

 
so some sewing on the slip and pressing...they both need snaps or fasteners of some kind and maybe some lace or other embellishments
I don't think her clothes that came with her, did her justice so I made her some new ones.
 
 

 

ORPHA's Dolls

Soft vinyl stuffed all in one body. Large bottom as she is a sit down doll.
dress is dry rotted. Even after washing and pressing it still would not do  and shoes were split on one.

So I decided she needed something new ALL the way.

 
 
 
 
Baby gonna get new clothes 
soft vinyl hollow body. She only wants it cleaned and dressed for her granddaughter to play with
 




 The Sticky Sister


Orpha's childhood doll gotten when sister Maggie got hers.
Well now I know SHE does NOT have magic skin. Hers is a soft vinyl that has undergone a breakdown and this releases that ucky sticky feel. Because of her age I am not willing to do the vasaline and sun treatment.. so today I started by scrubbing her with a mild abrasive cleaner to make the vinyl less sticky and replaced the momma box in her chest...
 removed the head and wig (it was stapled on)
 gave the face a gentle scrub to remove some scuffs from it. 
Now to wash and style this thing...kind of looks ratty right now.
the dress below came out very nice and clean... but needed work

made a Combination for under the dress. It is a one piece that covers from shoulders and takes the place of unders or long bloomers. This gives better protection to the body.
Wig glued on and she is ready for a box to protect her till she goes back home. 
 
 
 
 

5 comments:

  1. Good job! Now I know what you've been doing lately. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm interested to know what you do to clean up the sticky, magic skin? My Horseman doll from the mid-50's has this problem and I've been wondering how to clean off the 'sticky' without harming the doll.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not yet tried but all i have found in searching so far is washing with something , a mild soap , is all they used. But this has discoloration too so I may try some kind of paint once I have washed it the best i can. Stay tuned , I will post my results.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you tried a baking soda paste? It doesn't have harmful chemicals and cleans just about everything! kb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did try the baking soda first... didn't faze this stuff. Ended up using some Dutch cleanser on wet tooth brush... did a fair job. Dusting with powder will help keep it unsticky. I hope.

      Delete